Thursday 14 April 2011

the big trees

Walking out to the carpark this afternoon I had to stop and marvel at the immense size, beauty and age of the conifer collection leading up to the main gates.

In particular the amazing 'Sequoiadendron giganteum' Wellingtonia or 'California Redwood'

Very architectural looking up through the branches.
Walking beneath them the needles are so thick that it is completely silent to move around and it reminds me of the huge amount of time and fun i had playing in the pine forest when it was raining near our house in NZ when I was a small kid. Also had many a beautiful ride through pine forests on my ponies over the years.

The bark on this tree is so beautiful & thick! - and today after all the rain it was surprisingly soft and spongey to touch!
I love the immense size and ancient beauty of these trees as well as just feeling like a small speck in contrast to them. I'm completely drawn to and passionate about trees and I would like to document some more of my favourites over the months to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.